Yamaha YU3 upright piano review and information
The Yamaha YU3 is a relatively recent model and you find many for sale. We’ve stocked a handful over the years and here are my thoughts. If you have any technical info or corrections for this article, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you can find one, you can’t go far wrong with a Yamaha YU3, it’s one of the best uprights Yamaha have made.
Pros and cons of the Yamaha YU3?
- It is based on the U3 model, so you’re getting a top-notch, full-sized upright.
- It has an improved soundboard giving it better amplification and a longer sustain than standard models.
- It has concert grade hammers
- It’s has been made from the best materials and should last generations.
- The “YU” means it’s been hand-finished for a more refined build quality
- These pianos can be hard to find secondhand because of their young age
- They are likely to cost around 30% more than the standard Yamaha U3
When was it produced?
The Yamaha YU3 was made between 1997-2000.
Where was it made?
The Yamaha YU3 is made in Yamaha’s best factory in Hamamatsu, Japan, where Yamaha makes all of its top pianos, including the CFX, Yamaha’s leading concert grand piano, which sells for £140k.
Yamaha YU3 videos
Here is a video of a Yamaha YU3 made in the 1990s that we had in stock a couple of years ago. I hope you agree it has a lovely sound.
Who should buy them?
The Yamaha YU3 is suitable for ambitious students of all ages who want a piano to see them through to their grade 8 and as far beyond that as their ambition takes them.
Will I need to upgrade at some point?
No. The YU3 will last a lifetime. The only real reason to change would be to take the next step up to a grand piano.
New and used prices
The Yamaha YU3 is no longer made brand new. Secondhand prices vary but you should expect to pay around the £6500 mark for a showroom condition YU3.
Alternative models to consider
It’s worth considering any piano from the U-series, such as the U3, U30A, U30BL or UX3. These pianos are still some of the best that Yamaha produces. If you fancy something a touch smaller, try the U1, U10BL, or similar.
Great tone, lovely touch, intelligent cabinet design. Go for it!
Looking to buy?
See our current pianos for sale page to see if we have a YU3 in stock.
I hope this summary was helpful. Feedback, thoughts and questions are welcome.
Please follow & contact us on these platforms
Phone: 0161 213 9402 / 020 7060 5889
Newsletter & Competitions: mgps.uk/news